"Quality nutrition is crucial and one piece of the puzzle in reaching Peak Performance. Everyone’s diet blueprint is unique, so we'll work together to find out what foods work and don't work for you. I will impart all the nutrition knowledge I have gained over my journey to help you build your own foundation. Our approach will be long-term - you will be positively changing your diet & lifestyle around it for life."
SO let's get started... WHAT's the best diet?!
Here's a list of the most well known or trendy:
- Mediterranean diet – emphasizes fish, veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, chicken/dairy in moderation
- Paleo diet - high in quality fat, veggies, pastured/grass-fed meat, & wild fish, low carbs/fruit/nuts, no legumes or processed junk food
- Pescatarian diet – prioritizes fish as protein, plus fruits, veggies, grains, legumes, eggs, & dairy
- Vegan diet – no meat, fish, eggs or dairy, only veggies, fruits, grains, legumes, processed junk ok
- Vegetarian diet - eggs & dairy ok, plus veggies, fruits, grains, legumes, and processed junk ok
- Whole-Foods Plant-Based diet – same as Vegan, but limited or no processed junk food
- Ketogenic diet – very low to zero carbs, mainly meat, fats, & veggies
The Answer: ALL OF THEM UTILIZED TOGETHER! (with the exception of processed junk)
Honestly, there is no "one best diet" - anyone who tells you different has a personal bias or incentive. These diets are all tools in your ‘nutrition arsenal’ to use based on your intuition, aka what your body is telling you to eat - you can use each diet for different personal situations and time-frames throughout your life depending on you health & goals. Learn to practice diet variation. But don't get stuck on or labeled by one particular diet - that, my friends, is a very dangerous place to be (trust me, I've been there). Everyone’s diet blueprint is unique, so let's understand what works best for YOU.
Areas of focus & recommendations
- Eliminate & avoid processed junk food & “edible food-like substances” – white bread & pasta, cereal, bagels, wraps/subs, candy, baked goods, high sugar drinks & juices including Gatorade, and fast food (McDonald’s, BK, etc.)
- Focus on prioritizing whole foods from nature – vegetables, greens, fruits, whole grains, and, yes, fish and meat
- Crowd out your plate with healthy, real foods - especially veggies
- Eat local & wild food – buy from farmers markets & local farms
- Veggies, greens, fruits – preferably organic to limit intake of GMO’s, herbicides & pesticides
- Fish – preferably wild (farmed fish are raised within a restricted area & toxic environment)
- Meat – preferably pasture-raised & grass-fed (factory-farmed are fattened up with GMO soy & corn, injected with antibiotics to manage disease, and are highly unethical with animal welfare)
- Water – preferably local spring water, distilled water, or use of a quality water filter
- Allergen foods – avoid most wheat (gluten), corn, soy, dairy, peanuts
- Limit supplements – the supplement industry unregulated and it's not the same as vitamins directly from food
- Intermittment fasting – keep your eating widow between 8-10 hours each day and/or water fast 1 full day a week
a few of Michael pollan's rules for eating
"Eat whole foods from nature, not too much, mostly plants."
"Don't eat anything your great grandmother wouldn't recognize as food."
"Don’t eat anything with more than five ingredients, or ingredients you can't pronounce."
"Don't eat anything that won't eventually rot."
"It is not just what you eat but how you eat. Always leave the table a little hungry."
nutrition program overview
- Personalized nutrition advice & recommendations, tailored for your physique goals
- Weekly meal planning & recipes within 1:1 sessions
- Geared to lose/gain weight, build muscle, and improve overall sports performance
- Experience first-hand the adage “You cannot out-exercise a bad diet”
- Benefits: physical gains, more energy, mental clarity, less stress, decreased junk food cravings, improved immune system (less sick days)